Historic Cuban Club of Ybor City
On October 10, 1899, Cuban immigrants formed a recreational society known as El Club Nacional Cubano. Three years later, the society of three hundred members changed its name to El Círculo Cubano. According to the 1902 charter, the Círculo Cubano was formed "for the mutual benefit and enjoyment of its members and for the charitable purposes and instruction of its members and the dissemination of knowledge among all classes of people." In order to preserve harmony among its diverse membership, the statutes of the club expressly prohibited any discussion within the society of labor, politics, or religion. In 1917, the Cuban Club opened the doors of its neoclassic clubhouse at 2010 Avenida República de Cuba in Ybor City. Since then, the Círculo Cubano has provided a theater, grand ballroom, medical clinic, cantina, gym, and library to its members. The activities of the Cuban Club have changed over time, but it remains open to all men and women who are dedicated to the preservation of the Cuban heritage and culture of Florida. Members do not have to be Cuban or of Cuban ancestry, but they must be committed to the original purposes for which the club was founded.
The patio of the club hosted boxing matches, famous Cuban entertainers, like Benny More and Celia Cruz, and even a bullfight.
In addition the Cuban Club has 4 floors filled with ornate historically architecture, here is a run down of what is happening on each floor.
Bands will be playing throughout the weekend
1st Floor- The Cantina-
Entrance to the Theater
Theater Balcony entrance
Theater- Accessible from 2nd and 3rd floors
Films throughout the weekend
Tattoo Contest Awards
4th Floor- Grand Ballroom
Live Tattooing Throughout the Weekend
|Address||2010 Avenida Republica de Cuba
Tampa, Florida 33605
Parking: Street parking is free in most parts of Ybor. Parking garage tickets can be validated at the Cuban Club for $2.00.
Click here for directions.